Let’s face it, we probably all experience dry skin at some point in our lives, whether it’s on our face or body, and it can be a problem. Our skin is exposed to so many elements; wind, rain, sun, cleaning products, washing powders…the list is endless. Coupled with unbalanced diets, dehydration, stress, health problems, it is no wonder that most of us experience some dry and tired looking skin at least some of the time. But, if we all take a little more care, we can all have brighter looking skin without the irritating dry patches, not to mention the ageing effects of facial lines.
The skin is the largest organ in the body and so requires a lot of care and there are some Natural Remedies for dry skin that everyone can take advantage of to help give it a boost.
As well as a good, daily routine that includes plenty of drinking water, thorough cleansing, a balanced diet and moisturising, there are some essential oils which may also benefit dry skin. Here we have listed a selection of these oils, along with some tips on how to get the best out of them for your skin.
With natural anti-bacterial properties as well as anti-inflammatory properties, Lavender is ideal for use on the skin and this is why:
- This essential oil, diluted in a good quality vegetable oil (1-2 drops only diluted in 10ml quality vegetable oil ie: Almond, Grapeseed, Apricot), may be used topically and may help alleviate dry skin.
- It smells lovely and is known for its relaxing qualities too so you can simply add one drop to your 50ml pot of moisturiser, thoroughly mix it in with a clean spoon or similar and apply as normal.
- Our experience has shown that Lavender can soothe skin, whilst encouraging a feeling of wellness and relaxation.
Chamomile is a very soothing and calming essential oil with anti-inflammatory properties.
- It is particularly good for sensitive skin types where dry and irritated skin often occurs. Its anti-inflammatory properties may help reduce redness and irritation associated with dry skin
- It is also one of the gentlest oils and so is mild enough for all ages, including babies and toddlers. A suggested use could be to add one drop to a 50ml pot of moisturising cream or body lotion to soothe and care for your skin.
Benzoin oil is antiseptic and soothing to irritated skin. It may be helpful for chapped skin, redness and itching. Its calming properties may also be beneficial to skin. It is an oil of choice by trained Aromatherapists when treating skin irritations. It is not recommended for untrained individuals to use Benzoin in any self made blend at home. Aromatherapy literature says It has been associated as a strong rejuvenating oil. This oil therefore may be beneficial to dry skin by reducing redness and any irritation that is associated.
Try Faith in Nature Products For Dry Skin
We have a range of products which can help with dry skin. Why not try our:
Or alternatively, why not browse through all our natural skincare products.